2016 SALSA CONTEST
Saturday, July 09, 2016
Collingswood Farmers’ Market
Pre-registration is necessary! We need to know your salsa is coming and what category you will enter.
You will be asked to supply the following information:
Choose a Category (pick only one):
- CLASSIC RED SALSA. The classic cooked tomato, onion, pepper variety, chunky or smooth.
- SALSA CRUDA. Raw tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc.
- SALSA VERDE. The green version made with tomatillos, raw or roasted.
- FREELANCE VEGETABLE. Smoked chipotle chilies, for example, or corn, or carrots as a primary ingredient.
- FRUIT SALSA. Mango, peach, avocado, oranges, or pineapple, for example, as a primary ingredient.
(Optional) Name your Salsa: (Pico de Pete? Citrus Cilantro? Bloody Mary Salsa?):
- One salsa per contestant, please. Bring your BEST salsa. Period.
- This is not a “heat” contest. Salsas must be Mild or Medium.
- Salsas deemed by the judges to be too “hot” to judge will score no points from those judges.
- Deliver your salsa to the Market before 9:30 a.m. SAT JUL 09.
- Salsas arriving after 9:30 a.m. will be disqualified.
- Bring salsas to the Friends of the Farmers’ Market tent.
- Bring salsa in a closed jar.
- Provide a bowl no bigger than 8 inches in diameter for dipping.
- Salsas will be assigned a number upon arrival for anonymous judging.
- Judging begins promptly at 10 a.m.
- A team of several judges will individually judge the salsas using a scoring system.
- The salsa with the highest cumulative score in each category is the winner.
- Ties will be broken by a second tasting.
- We’ll use tortilla chips to dip your salsa from a common bowl (NO DOUBLE DIPPING!).
- Collect your jars, bowls, and unconsumed salsa from the Market tent before noon.
PRIZE CATEGORIES AND AWARDS:
- First Prize in each of 5 categories: $30 in Market Cash, redeemable at any Market vendor.
- Second and Third Prize ribbons (no cash) in each of 5 categories.
- ONE GRAND PRIZE for the salsa with the highest cumulative score in any category: Handmade skateboard from the Collingswood Board Co. (The board will be displayed at the Contest on SAT JUL 09. It can be traded at the winner’s discretion for a different board of similar or lesser value from Collingswood Board Co.)
- Ties in any category or for the Grand Prize will be broken by a second round of tasting.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- Can I enter salsas in several categories? No. Enter your best salsa in one category.
- Can I win two prizes? Yes. The Grand Prize winner will undoubtedly also have won a Best of Category prize.
- What’s a vegetable and what’s a fruit? For our purposes, the common designations (not the botanical designations) will be used. A tomato may technically be a fruit, but a wise chef wouldn’t use one in a fruit salad.
- What about Avocado? Avocado swings both ways: if you use it with fruits, call it a fruit. If you use it with vegetables, call it a vegetable.
- Smooth or chunky? Up to you. There’s no category difference.
- I’m not sure what category I’m in? Use your judgment to declare your category in advance.
- Does the salsa maker have to attend the judging/tasting? No, you could still win, but you do need to visit the Market tent before noon to claim any prize.
- So, what’s the schedule?
- Deliver salsas to the Market BEFORE 9:30.
- Judging/tasting will begin at 10:00.
- Prizes will be awarded when judging and scoring are complete, around 11:00.
- Collect bowls, jars, salsa, and prizes BEFORE noon.