2016 APPLE PIE BAKING CONTEST
Saturday, October 08, 2016 at 10 a.m.
Collingswood Farmers’ Market
Pre-registration is necessary! We need to know your pie is coming. Also, due to past demand, a limited number of registrations will be available this year, so be sure to sign up early!
Visit http://www.collsfofm.org/apple-pie-contest/ to register. You will be asked to supply the following information:
Please Choose a Category (pick only one):
- “Classic Apple”: consisting of apples as the only fruit used, and with NO OTHER fruit.
- “Anything Goes Apple”: consisting of apples plus any creative fruit, dried fruit, nut, custard, or ingredient combinations.
What’s the name of your pie? (Have some fun here! Ex: Alice’s Awesome Apple, or Bob’s Bonafide Braeburn):
- One pie per contestant, please. Bring what you think is YOUR best pie. Period.
- You must deliver your pie to the Collingswood Farmers’ Market, no later than 9:30 a.m. on October 08. Bring your pie to the judging tent (location will be marked with signage, and located near the information booth). Pies will be assigned a number upon arrival for anonymous judging.
- Judging begins promptly at 10 a.m. Pies arriving after judging begins will be disqualified.
- A team of several judges will individually judge the pies using a scoring system. Pies with the highest cumulative score in each category wins.
- Please do not enhance your presentation with cloths, settings, cake stands, searchlights, or other accessories. We simply don’t have the room.
- We will remove a slice of pie for judging, and the remainder of the pie goes back home with the pie baker (so everybody wins!) to enjoy at the end of the contest. The contest will take about an hour.
- The Collingswood Farmers’ Market is not responsible for plates, pies or anything submitted for judging, and will discard (or eat) any items left on the tables past noon.
- Please see the designations below for rules regarding categories.
PRIZE CATEGORIES AND AWARDS:
Prizes are awarded for three categories:
- Best Presentation: the most photogenic pie deserves a prize. Only the pie itself will be judged. As mentioned in the rules, no props will be accepted. All pies are eligible for this prize.
- Best “Classic Apple”: consisting of apples as the only fruit used, and with NO OTHER fruit.
- Best “Anything Goes Apple”: consisting of apples plus any creative fruit, dried fruit, nut, custard, or ingredient combinations.
- $30 in market gift certificates are awarded to first prize winners. Second and third prize winners will also receive prizes that may include market gift certificates and market goodies.
- Market may divide a particularly large category in half at its discretion.
- Ties will split the prize evenly. (We reserve the right to deliver the prizes at a later date.)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Can I win two categories? Yes, it is possible to win for both best looking AND best-tasting pie.
Is lemon juice considered a fruit? For our purposes, fruit juice is not fruit.
Crusts? Up to you. Crust diversity is part of the fun.
I’m not sure what category I’m in? Choose your category wisely. It’s part of the fun. The judges will let you know if you’ve picked the right category by choosing your pie as a winner.
Do the bakers have to be there for the judging/tasting? No, you could still win if we can’t find you at the time of the results. Return at 11 to reclaim your pie, though. (Judges and volunteers reserve the right to eat any pie left after noon!)
Can I bring a tart? Why not? Our judges are picking the best pies based on their personal, highly subjective standards of what a pie “is”, that’s why we have several judges.
Do you have any idea what time the judging will be over? We hope to begin promptly at 10 and announce the winner by 11. However, because we can’t guess how many pies will be registered, that is only an estimate.