“Are you casting asparagus on my cooking!?” —Curly Howard
Brief showers couldn’t dampen the enthusiasm of approximately 4000 shoppers who attended the opening day of our beloved Market. At 8:00 am, Joe Njoroge (COO of the Food Bank of South Jersey), Borough Commissioner Joan Leonard, and Market Director David Hodges teamed up to cut the ribbon on the 17th season.
News from our Official Market Bloggers
- Opening Day Photos. Denine Gorniak (The Bicycle-Chef) covered the Opening Day for us, took pictures, conducted interviews, and produced a charming flipbook of images set to music. See her post here.
- Asparagus Chocolate Cupcakes. Denine Gorniak (The Bicycle-Chef) has three recipes for asparagus on her blog today. One for roasted. One for pasta and lemon sauce. AND YES, one for asparagus chocolate cupcakes (who says kids won’t eat vegetables?) See her post here.
- Jersey Asparagus Garlic Shrimp. Patricia DiJulio (Southjerseygirlsgrub) has posted a recipe with beautiful photos of a classic recipe to make the most of your fresh asparagus. Find those recipes here.
- Quick Spring Pea Ravioli. Donna Hutchinson (My Tasty Journey) is looking ahead a week or so to the arrival of fresh spring peas. Yes, ravioli can be quick! Click here for the secret.
PHOTO BY PATRICIA DIJULIO (southjerseygirlsgrub)
What’s in Season
Wild Flour Bakery has two new artisan breads: sprouted wheat and molasses multi-seed. We have frequent buyer cards too. Use the card every time you buy bread; when the card is completed, receive a free loaf of bread.
DanLynn Organic Farms will have bags of lettuce, baby bok choy, strawberries, unpopped popcorn, and the following seedlings: cucumber, Rutgers tomato, San Marzano tomato, and Cherokee Purple heirloom tomato seedlings.
AT Buzby has Jersey Fresh hothouse tomatoes from their own farm (photo below).
Hillacres Pride. Chicken leg/thigh quarters are on special. Our seasonal favorite, citrus sunrise fresh cheese, is at the Market this weekend. We are fully stocked with new beef, back from the butcher today; lots of pork and chicken halves are back too!
Fruitwood Farm will make its first appearance of the season with asparagus, strawberries, and rhubarb*.
*Note to bloggers: anybody planning a rhubarb recipe?
PHOTO OF HOTHOUSE TOMATOES BY A. T. BUZBY FARM
- Cheese, Etc.
- Fruits d’Heritage
- Origin Almond
- Bianca Del Mare Soaps and Skin Care
- Garden State Juice Company
Artist of the Week
SULTANA MARIA. Guest Artist Sultana Aschim makes flower crowns, handmade jewelry with stones and found objects, collaged windows, mysterious items. Sound eclectic? You bet. Stop by and see what else she forgot to mention this time. Link to her etsy page.
PHOTO COURTESY OF SULTANA MARIA’S ETSY PAGE